Erika Nielsen and other community volunteers are working with school administrators, hospital administrators, local political leaders and the historical society to promote the building of sidewalks. She and her fellow volunteers believe that sidewalks are essential to improving accessibility of public places, encouraging healthy lifestyles and reducing the environmental impact of driving automobiles.
The activities of the volunteer group included:
– Attending community development plenary meetings and offering suggestions.
– Meeting with local government officials onsite to discuss proposed sidewalks
– Writing monthly newsletters; some of them included health recommendations by local health professionals
– Participating in community fairs in connection with Earth Day
– Organizing walks to highlight the need for sidewalks
– Sponsoring a poster contest for Middle School students
– Sponsoring a video contest for High School Students